September 24, 2022 by Arden Montgomery
Pork Chile Verde
Pair this with 2020 Storm Carbonic Cabernet Franc
- 2 pounds pork shoulder, butt, or loin
- 1 pound tomatillos (coarsely chopped)
- 1 pound roma tomatoes (coarsely chopped)
- 1 bottle beer (I use an IPA)
- 6–8 juice oranges (to make 1½ cups of fresh juice)
- 4 limes
- 2 jalapeños (minced)
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 1 can black beans
- Herbs & Spices: Dried oregano, cumin, smoked paprika
- Optional Garnishes: Sour cream, cotija cheese, avocado, cilantro
Sprinkle pork shoulder generously with salt. Brown the pork in a large skillet over high heat for two minutes a side. Remove pork and saute the onions and garlic in the pan drippings until the onions are translucent. Add the onions and garlic to the slow cooker.
Remove the husks from the tomatillos, wash the sticky surface off, and chop them. Add tomatillo to the slow cooker with tomatoes, jalapeños, beer, orange juice, juice from 2 limes, salt, pepper, dried oregano, cumin, and smoked paprika. Cook on low for 9 hours.
Remove the pork, separate it from the bone and shred. Add the pork back to the slow cooker along with the black beans and mix. Serve in a bowl with a lime wedge and optional garnishes.
Pro Tip: Simmer and reduce leftovers and serve on top of eggs the next morning. Think breakfast sandy, burrito, or chilaquiles!