March 08, 2022 by Arden Montgomery
Thai Fried Rice
Thai Fried Rice
What I love about fried rice is that it’s easy and versatile! You can basically throw in whatever vegetables you have in the fridge, making it a great ‘Tuesday night’ recipe. When I tasted this with the 2009 Domaine Bohn Riesling I new it was a match made in heaven. This is a great example of how food can elevate a wine and vice versa!
2 cups jasmine rice
1 sweet potato
1 serrano chile
1 red jalapeño
1 cup cremini mushrooms
1 cup white cabbage
1 roughly chopped tomato
1 cup rapini
3 garlic cloves
Cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon chili sauce
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
SunCoco oil or canola oil
4 eggs, beaten
Handful chopped mint
1/2 a cucumber sliced into rounds and then quartered
- Combine the rice and 3 cups chicken stock to a pot. Bring to a soft boil and then reduce to simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes or so. Note: keep adding chicken stock, the rice will absorb the stock and keep it light and fluffy.
- Chop the peppers, sweet potato, and tomato. Heat a skillet with enough oil to cover the bottom and sauté the peppers, sweet potato, and tomato over medium to medium-high heat.
- Slice and quarter the cucumber and slice the scallion. Set aside.
- Mix in the beaten egg.
- Chop the garlic, mushrooms, and cabbage. Roughly chop the rapini. Add everything it the skillet once the sweet potatoes start to soften. Note: You could wait to add the rapini until 3-5 minutes before serving.
- Add cracked black pepper to taste.
- Add and mix in the chili sauce, ginger, and fish sauce.
- Once the rice is cooked through, add to the skillet and mix everything together thoroughly.
- Scoop the rice up and press it down into the pan. Allow it to cook and start to crisp and brown underneath. Once golden, scoop the rice up again and press it down. Do this until you’ve reached your desired crispiness.
- While the rice is browning, mix the quartered cucumbers in small bowl with chopped mint, lemon + lime juice, and the sliced scallion.
- Serve the rice into shallow bowls and garnish with cucumber mixture.