Women in Wine Tasting Set
The two women behind the bottles in this box are not only trailblazers in the wine industry, they are setting a higher standard for what it means to be a leader and how to use that success to lift up women around the globe.
Box Includes: 1 bottle of each wine listed below and information on both of these female winemakers so you know who you are supporting and why.
- 2021 Uphold Wines Rosé ‘for the Women’ made by Megan Glaab
- 2020 Aslina Stellenbosch Cabernet Sauvignon made by Ntsiki Biyela
CONSUME WITH MEANING
2021 Uphold Wines Rosé ‘For the Women’
Winemaker: Megan Glaab
Megan got her B.S. in Enology from University of Adelaide in Australia and worked at Torbreck, Peay, Marcassin, and Pisoni winery just to name a few. She is now the winemaker and co-owner of RYME Cellars with along with her husband. Uphold is their way to give back by making “Wine for Progress and Charity.” 100% of all proceeds (not just profits) from this wine go to organizations that support women’s rights!
Organic and sustainable farming practices, minimal intervention winemaking and S02 additions.
2020 Aslina Stellenbosch Cabernet Sauvignon
Winemaker: Ntsiki Biyela
Ntsiki was the first female black winemaker in South Africa and has become one of the most influential women in wine worldwide. She employs the women in her village to make marketing materials for Aslina and aims to develop the community.
Organic farming practices, hand-harvested, unfined/unfilered and vegan-friendly!
Here at Argaux, we believe that women make the world of wine a better place. As a female owned-and-operated company, we take pride in elevating women winemakers and industry colleagues around the world – especially when their wines are as good as the ones included in this kit. However, despite the wonderful shifts being made within the industry, women still have quite a long way to go in catching up to their male counterparts. In honor of the incredible ladies changing the viticultural game worldwide, we’ve created this Women in Wine kit to share some of our favorite bottles produced at the hands of trailblazing female winemakers across the globe.
‘Gaux to the World of Women in Wine – What to Know
1. As of 2018, there were no female CEOs at wineries with annual productions between 100K and 500K cases per year; on a positive note, 25% of wineries producing between half a million and one million cases boasted women CEOs. This same study states that women were underrepresented in sales, viticulture, and winemaking, but overrepresented in marketing and HR departments.
2. Interestingly, through it all, it’s been proven that women are actually more sensitive (and therefore, more detailed and often better) tasters than men – yet this somehow does not translate to their representation in the industry.
3. According to MacNeil, only 10% of winemakers in California are female, and only 7% and 5% are women in Washington and New York, respectively. However, women have made up around 40% of graduates from the Viticulture and Enology programs at UC Davis.
4. Women still continue to make 82 cents to every dollar that a man earns working the same job, with said gap widening to 77 cents to the dollar at management-level positions.
5. In terms of higher education, only 29 of America’s 182 Master Sommeliers are women. The statistic gets better in the Master of Wine world, where women hold 131 of the 380 titles worldwide.
When we first got into the industry, there seemed to be lots of conversation surrounding the rarity of women in wine. However, much of our inspiration was sparked by historic women like Madame Clicquot, who is credited for inventing riddling (an aging technique used in the production of Champagne), Ann Noble, who invented the aroma wheel, and Carole Meredith, who discovered the origins of Cabernet Sauvignon as a hybrid of Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Franc. Today we continue to be inspired by women in wine and the growing number of them strapping on their boots and heading into the vineyards, tending to grapes, and producing wines of high complexity and great esteem.
Enjoy this kit and thank you for supporting women in wine!