December 17, 2023 by Alyssa Taylor
The Sunday Sip: How to Pick The Perfect Wine to Gift
Q: How to Pick The Perfect Wine to Gift:
A: Finding the perfect gift can be challenging, especially when it comes to wine. Questions like these can all come to mind: Should I get a red or white? How much should I be spending? Do I have to get a highly-rated wine? Should I stick with a cool-looking or recognizable label?
Well, we’re here to help. Whether your gifts are for the holidays, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, house-warmings or just a simple ‘thank you,’ we’ve got you covered.
First off, when selecting a wine gift, there is really only one rule… have fun with it! If you want to take it a few steps further, consider these tips:
- Who is the gift for? Is your recipient a wine aficionado or a wine newbie? The more information you have, the better chance you’ll have of hitting the nail on the head. With more details you can choose to go for a particular grape, style, or region. Otherwise, sparkling wine (like Champagne) is always a safe bet. After all, bubbly is already widely associated with celebrations and gifts. Check out our Champagne Gift Box!
- How much do I spend? This is a tough question to answer as the answer depends largely on the occasion and how well you know the recipient. Is this for a wedding of a close friend or relative? A holiday present? Something special for your boss or client? Major milestones and occasions like the above may dictate a higher price tag. Also, birthdays could mean a more expensive wine than, say, a casual “thank you” gift. However, it’s all relative: the main idea is to gauge the situation and possible expectations of the recipient. If you are worried about the recipient looking up the price of the wine, consider one of our Sommelier-Curated Gift Sets which includes wine, but artisan goodies from our marketplace as well. These can feel more like a comprehensive, thoughtful gift in comparison to a 2 or 3 bottle gift box.
- How much wine do I give? Again, this is very dependent on your recipient and how well you know them, or what the occasion is. A sweet spot for us is 3 bottles. It’s not too little and it’s not much, it’s just right. Check our 3-Bottle Gift Box and allow a sommelier to choose the selections for you!
- Revert back to rule #1 – have fun with it! Remember, wine is meant to be enjoyed and this is simply a gift. You can’t go wrong with something from our Year of Firsts Collection to cover any and all of life’s major milestones. Another fun and different option is our Blind Tasting Kit! Whether the recipient is a wine collector or just getting into wine, they will have some fun with this educational and entertaining wine experience in the comfort of their own home.
- If you’re wondering what wine to give the person who has everything, consider gifting them a mini Club Argaux Membership. You can choose any number of months and we will send them seasonal wine selections from around the world with recipes to pair.
As always, if you need further assistance, you can be in direct contact with an Argaux sommelier by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.