For centuries, the ancient ‘Camp Fortet’ (small fort) with its modest profile has overlooked the historic town of Saint-Émilion, peacefully surveying it in times of prosperity, protecting it in times of war. The 20-hectare vineyard forms a single plot, planted upon the highest slopes of Western Saint-Émilion. Constructed from the very rock upon which it stands, the chateau and its surrounding wall (hence ‘clos’) are intimate and unassuming. Ever since the beginning of the classification in 1956, Clos Fourtet has been a member of the elite ‘Premiers Grands Crus Classés’ of Saint-Émilion.
The vineyard is situated upon the summit of Saint-Émilion, where limestone soils offer superb drainage. This predominance of limestone brings inimitable freshness to the wines, with minerality and delicate tannins. The result is wines with a strong identity that is dear to passionate enthusiasts who talk of a ‘Clos Fourtet style’. We work gently, at one with the nature that surrounds us, to support and nurture our soils.